Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Did you know Sakura trees were made by men 400 years ago just for the sake of cherry-blossom viewing?

"It's not just compliments and nice words that takes you higher,
it's also the harsh words and cold treatment that drives you further-"


Blogging from my tiny, bare room on a cold, rainy day-
久しぶり「Long time no see-」

Although it's already the 4th month of the new year, it's the first post of the year for this blog.

I arrived in Tokyo almost two weeks ago with nothing much but a heavy suitcase full of my unnecessary belongings- which I later found out, didn't have any warm jackets. (Apparently I underestimated the Spring weather here.)

I am writing this post today because a few days ago, i received a message from a girl whose dream was to go to Japan but unfortunately, for her- she felt it was a bit too late.
Reading her message kind of overwhelmed me because I remember, being just like her-
Wanting to go to Japan and experience what it's like to live there. [I blame animes and mangas for creating such a beautiful society my younger self could only visit in my dreams occasionally- heh].

Well, the real thing does live up to my younger self's expectation though.

My wanting to go to Japan wasn't just an idea that sprouted a month or week ago.
Years and years of dreaming and hoping did most of the trick.
Promising my younger self, that one day we would be there-
sitting in the train, walking under the rain- carrying transparent umbrellas and sitting under cherry blossom trees.

Yes, at one time-
It became an impossible dream.
I remember apologizing to my younger self that I had let her down, that I couldn't fulfill our promise.

However, now that I think about it.
Those days where it felt impossible, those thoughts that made me give up many times were nothing more than just a trial that makes the result even more sweeter.
As lazy as I am, I know for sure if you have a dream, you have to work for it.
No dreams are impossible because if it was, you wouldn't dream of it in the first place.

*Inhales deeply
Well, now that I am standing here, let me take this opportunity to thank those people who always motivated me to work for it and even during the times I gave up, they waited for me to get back.
My friends, especially from QELC, uncles and aunts in Bhutan, my Japanese senseis, family and of course my stubborn dad who eventually gave in. [Muhahaha- you have yourself to blame for giving me a stubborn personality-]

Those who have been with me since I developed an interest in Japan, you have probably witnessed the crazy things I did for this dream of mine. Thank you for being patient and I promise to take in as much experience as I can during my stay here in Japan and every time, things become hard- I will remember all the words of encouragement.

And of course, before I forget,
yes, it was the people who encouraged me that helped me stand here today but I also have to thank those mean people (oh no, I haven't forgotten you adorable munchkins). People who criticized my dreams and gave me those icy cold shoulders because I was a 'nobody'. Well, two words for you lads as well.
'Thank you,'
For pissing me off so much- it made me work twice as hard to achieve this dream.

Okay before I digress any further- which I already have.
Wear your dreams on your sleeves proudly, announce it to the world but never throw it away completely just because you 'feel' that you can't do it.
It's never too late.
Sometimes, all you have to do is really listen to those corny and cheesy lines from books and movies and actually apply it to your life. (Not the dramatic ones though, please!.There is more to life than romance and unrequited love).

However, if you want to experience the Japanese life, I would suggest you don't only just watch anime and read manga but also start to appreciate the different aspects of the Japanese culture. [*Enters harsh truth]: Yes, we all started from anime and manga but if you re planning to live in japan with just a manga in one hand and a figurine in another- i suggest you rethink your plan because you'll probably get a culture shock from realizing not all Japanese speak your anime lingo.

And remember, the hardest part of living in Japan isn't the language, the train system or the food-
it's the garbage sorting.

Oh, and here! Seeing a dirigible for the first time in real life.

Nothing is impossible unless you are an alien- or a frog, because frogs scares me.



Cheerios.

Gummy Sonam
hailing from Hanakoganei









1 comment:

  1. I really like yoursketch alot
    Do keep posting ☺��
    It's really cute Especially the one in which you heard the heartbeat ❤

    ReplyDelete